Friday, November 20, 2015

Oh, yeah, and I want to teach trading. Uh huh. And I'm the losingest trader you'll ever meet!

But, I'm incredibly persistent.

What I'm doing now is looking at hundreds of charts on Finviz. I try to pick one that looks good for a day trade, and then I go to Yahoo Finance and get a chart, 'cause their charts are really cool.

So, I pick a stock using a daily bar chart, and then I look at a 5 day chart. If I think it might be a setup for a trade, I save both charts, meaning I save screenshots. (What it looks like to me is, I want to look at a likely stock in the morning, and if it behaves right first thing, I'll trade it.)

So, for each setup, and for each trade, I'm saving a series of screenshots.

The problem is, if these aren't somehow organized, it'll simply be a mess.

I've set up a folder named "trading", and in it I've created a folder named "open". If I'm getting ready to buy a stock, its charts go in there.

Then I've got a system going where I name the screenshots so they get listed in the right order. It's a folder with lots of image files in it. If I don't name them correctly, they'll all be a jumble.

Thus, the first trade is 1_symbol, and the first chart for that trade is 1_symbol_1s_1.

Here's why:

All the charts for the trade will line up because the file name begins with the same thing: 1_symbol. Then _1s means it's a trade setup, so all the charts for the setup, of which there may be quite a few, get grouped together ... but if I just named them number_symbol_s then they would end up out of order, as I'll explain in a moment. If I name them number_symbol_1s, then all the setup charts will appear before all the result charts. Otherwise, if I just named them number_symbol_s, they would end up after the result charts, which I would name number_symbol_r, so I name them, respectively, _1s and _2r.

Tricky, huh?

Finally, setup charts are named, for example, 1_ibm_1s_1, 1_ibm_1s_2 and so on.

When trades are complete and setup and result charts are recorded, I'll move the charts to a "results" folder for future reference.

Wow, you know what? Systems are complicated! I am just getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment